Monday, August 17, 2009

Astro Movie Comic Adaptation #1 Preview

The first issue of the comic book adaptation of the upcoming animated Astro Boy movie will be released this week on August 19th, by IDW. You can see the retailer incentive cover version on the right.

Thanks to USA Today, you can check out an exclusive preview of the first 10 pages of the issue.

The artwork by E.J. Su looks absolutely awesome and totally full of personality. Ban Shunsaku aka Mustachio makes an appearance! Sharp eyed readers will spot several cameos from other Tezuka characters as well. I'm not sure if these will be in the movie too or if they're just fun Easter eggs for the comic, but either way it's totally cool.

I only read the first 5 pages because I don't want to spoil too much of the movie. But I really like what I'm seeing thus far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it me? Or does President Stone bare a slight resemblance to Duke Red? Maybe not, but if so then they might be referencing another Tezuka "actor" there.

Ninjatron said...

I have been wondering the same thing since I first saw the character. He does have sort of the same kind of face as Duke Red if you were to interpret the character in the same 3D style as Tenma and Elefun, but the dark, slicked back hair doesn't resemble him. Personality wise he could very well wind up being the same kind of character has Duke Red in Metropolis from what we've seen thus far. I'll post about this some other time.

Sayonara.

Anonymous said...

Actually Stone and his general looks an awful like Lamune and Kalpis.